The Baron
Operations Manager
May 25, 2009
London, UK
www.trucksim.org
World of Trucks
Favorite Truck
Scania
This is a topic that I've been wanting to share for quite some time. The topic of paid mods. I see this quite often in big simulator titles such as flight and train simulators, but I've never seen it in games like this.

To begin with, there are some quite simply incredible mods for this game, that hundreds of man hours have been spent in the making, and they're totally free to download.

My understanding is that in the UK, to be able to distribute and sell something, generally speaking, you have to have permission from the creators and the work must be your own.

Although I wouldn't expect mods in this game to cost a lot, upwards of £30 for example, but I'm curious as to why we haven't yet seen paid mods in this game...

Alan5267

Expert
Sep 27, 2014
Queensland, Australia
World of Trucks
Favorite Truck
Kenworth
The Kenworth K200 and i think a Mercedes Antos are being sold, however Im not sure if its just for a early version, and the mod will become free when its completed (I hope) but regardless selling these mods are sort of illegal as they breach copyright law (These trucks have copyrighted material all over it etc the Mercedes badge and the Kenworth badge)

MartyTheTrucker

Long Hauler
Aug 30, 2014
Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
World of Trucks
Favorite Truck
Mercedes
...selling these mods are sort of illegal as they breach copyright law (These trucks have copyrighted material all over it etc the Mercedes badge and the Kenworth badge)
I know there must be such a law, but how about the creators of detaild 3D models on something like Turbosquid? Their vehicles have copyright material like the car's badges and everything and sell their models for quite some money. I doubt they can afford to buy licenses for those vehicles as I doubt they're cheap.

kevmeister

Novist
Jan 23, 2015
Parts Unknown
Favorite Truck
Peterbilt
these are some very good points. I've seen on a different forum, that a guy bought a 3D model from turbosquid; it was a licenced name brand but he never said anything about Trademark or copyright concerns. I've been thinking about buying a model from Turbosquid for myself.
:)

Max

Second In Command
Operations Manager
Jan 12, 2014
UK
World of Trucks
Favorite Truck
Volvo
I agree with the sale of mods if they've had a lot of time put into them, but there is the issue of copyright :p

Alan5267

Expert
Sep 27, 2014
Queensland, Australia
World of Trucks
Favorite Truck
Kenworth
That's interesting.. Who are selling it? Do you have a link?
No direct link to the area where its being sold (think its a facebook group, cant be sure) i only know that it was removed off the official SCS forum for "advertising, sales and money making schemes" both mods are from the same authors, which is odd because both have made many many free mods before, like, every single decent american truck

Jun 9, 2014
San Pablo City
World of Trucks
Favorite Truck
Kenworth
That's interesting.. Who are selling it? Do you have a link?
They really spend for a serious game.. Modders sure have money in doing these when they are also using paid 3d softwares such as zmodeler3, autodesk 3d max etc... This is the the Link (this link is not to be permitted/authorized to advertise or to be commercialize to other people)

Dr.Bull

Expert
Jul 31, 2014
The worst thing I've seen on this topic of paid mods for ETS 2 is this one:
http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=126156

The mod is WIP, but you can get it by 'donating'. So basicly people paid for an early-acces mod. But the plan was to release it for free if it was finished.
This mod has never been finished though, so people who 'donated' got a truck that's just half-*ssed.

I think it's absolutly ridiculous to charge people for mods. Sure, you put a lot of work in it and such, but it's still just a hobby and besides that, the people who make those mods probably don't have the licenses from the truck manufacturers to make their model, so it's also against copyright laws as far as I know.

Alan5267

Expert
Sep 27, 2014
Queensland, Australia
World of Trucks
Favorite Truck
Kenworth
sorry for bumping up this old, old, very old topic from one month ago, but i just noticed the RTA mod guys breached more copyright law, their name!
unless, plot twist, the Russians are real truckers from Australia!

MartyTheTrucker

Long Hauler
Aug 30, 2014
Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
World of Trucks
Favorite Truck
Mercedes
sorry for bumping up this old, old, very old topic from one month ago, but i just noticed the RTA mod guys breached more copyright law, their name!
unless, plot twist, the Russians are real truckers from Australia!
Well It also depends on what RTA stands for. I doubt that trucking company is called Road Team Art

Benny080898

Seasoned Trucker
Mar 3, 2015
Norway
Favorite Truck
Scania
Yes its awesome! Its blown my mind! But the problem for now is ETS2 MP doesn't accept mods:(

Alan5267

Expert
Sep 27, 2014
Queensland, Australia
World of Trucks
Favorite Truck
Kenworth
The guys who made the mod this topic was somewhat about for just released a free ural truck mod, i just wish the ural was the paid one instead, the paid truck was the kenworth K200 which would have been the first ever australian truck mod available to anyone, but they just teased the truck for about 6 months on the official SCS forum than just asked for us to give them money with no warning from the start, so people got lied to and excited for nothing