Thoughts on the ATS Road System

Dec 27, 2018
USA
Favorite Truck
Volvo
Hello everyone,,
SCS has certainly done a wonderful job at capturing the feel of driving in the US, or at least in California and Nevada so far. However, I myself, and probably many other Americans have seen issues with the roads that don't reflect real life. When I drive in real life, something I pay attention to are how the roads and highways are built and function, the purpose of the signs, sign color, different lanes, lane markings and so on. So naturally I spotted issues with the road system in ATS.

First off, the Interstate highway system. Anything that is common or easily repeated in real life is modeled in the game OK. Though the signs over the highways are all the same, I don't expect them to have specialized signs for each exit or interchange. However, they say what the two through lanes go to and what is at the exit. I have noticed that most exit, those that are not highway interchanges, have a white left line when they should be yellow. Same with the on ramps, the left line is white when it should be yellow until just before it merges with the highway. I have also noticed that a lot of the ramps are to short, in real life even the shortest ramps in urban areas showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ vidmate.vet/ are twice as long as those in the game. I am a bit disappointed that they modeled the stack interchanges with flyovers, but did not make them functional. Instead, they used retextured versions of the clovers and three-way interchanges from ETS2. Also, some places like Primm in ATS don't have a proper exit, entrance on I-15. Something that should never happen on an interstate highway (well in real life there are one or two exceptions to the controlled access rule, but certainly not there or as common as seen in ATS).

Other roads like two lane highways in the desert need to have passing sections. Like a regular broken line for either side to pass, or the solid and broken line.

Road signs in the game are not reflective. I want to be able to shine my headlights on a sign at night and have the sign illuminate. similarly, in the game, there is only one small stretch of highway in ATS that has reflectors on the road. I want most of the roads to have reflectors on their lane markings like in real life.

I also have issues with the speed limit and speed limit signs. intercity speed limits in the game are almost always 30 MPH when they really should be either 25 or 35. Those two are so much more common than 30. I have experience speed limits staying the same when I get off the highway, I think that is a bug. There needs to be speed limit signs when the speed changes entering city limits and when entering or exiting California. There needs to be a sign posted for every speed change. Also, small towns can have speed limits that range fro 25, to 55 on the main highway passing through (Though obviously not freeways). Also, signs like speed limit signs need to be bigger the higher the speed on the road is. Like on the Interstate, Speed limit signs along with others are huge. The speed limit sign for example can be as tall as the average man. Though in ATS, they are the same size as a residential speed limit sign. If they were the proper size, they would be easier to spot.

Now, I'd like to see these changes in update, but I don't mind seeing mods developed for these problems. Either way, I just wanted to voice my concerns about the game. However as stated earlier, SCS did a great job at capturing the feel of driving in the USA.

Last edited:
Reactions: David040700

David040700

Long Hauler
Jun 24, 2014
France
World of Trucks
Favorite Truck
Scania
Great review, SCS should definitely read your comment and take it into consideration.
Did you post it on the SCS forum/blog ?

Road signs in the game are not reflective. I want to be able to shine my headlights on a sign at night and have the sign illuminate. similarly, in the game, there is only one small stretch of highway in ATS that has reflectors on the road. I want most of the roads to have reflectors on their lane markings like in real life.

Also, signs like speed limit signs need to be bigger the higher the speed on the road is. Like on the Interstate, Speed limit signs along with others are huge. The speed limit sign for example can be as tall as the average man. Though in ATS, they are the same size as a residential speed limit sign. If they were the proper size, they would be easier to spot.
I assume it can be difficult for SCS to change all this (I mean it's a lot of work), but I'd be very happy to see these features in the future !

vinyblaster

Seasoned Trucker
Nov 3, 2017
USA
Favorite Truck
Kenworth
Really good feedback. Can't echo the "speed limit" related points enough. Some speed limits are completely unrealistic in some major roads, and add to that a fair amount of "buggy" speed limits.